The TRIBES of YISRAEL during the Tabernacle period were encamped round about the Tabernacle as follows:
On the EAST SIDE of the tabernacle were the tribes of:
Tribe of Issachar totaling: 54,400 (Issachar means: Man of reward or wages)
Who was Issachar: Ninth son of Leah and father of Issachar, one of the twelve tribes of Yisrael. One interpretation of his name is "man of reward" (Hebrew: shcar).
• Issachar was the product of the mandrake incident (Genesis 30:9-18)
• Issachar was involved in the plot to sell his brother Joseph into slavery.
• Issachar settled in Egypt after the famine in Canaan and had four sons: Tolah, Puvvah, Yov and Shimron.
• Issachar receives a blessing from his father Jacob that he "bends his back to the load, working like a slave" (Genesis 49:14-15)
• The descendants of Issachar are men of learning according to Jewish tradition.
Tribe of YAHudah (Judah) totaling: 74,600
Who was YAHudah: Fourth son of Jacob and father of the tribe of YAHudah, one of the twelve tribes of Israel. His name comes from the Hebrew word of gratitude. Leah gave birth to YAHudah and said "Now I will praise YAHWEH" (Genesis 30:35)
• It was his idea to sell his brother Joseph to a Midianite slave trader rather than leave him to die in the pit (Genesis 37:27).
• He later became the spokesman for his father Jacob and his brothers when they traveled to Egypt during the famine in Canaan.
• He marries "SHUA", a Canaanite woman, and had three sons: Er, Onan, and Shelah.
Note: It should be noted that the prefix of YAHudah is "YAH" and YAHudah the man, married this Canaanite woman who bore the name "SHUA". Is it coincidental that when you place the prefix YAH and name SHUA together you come up with the name ........ YAHshua......... ?
It should also be noted, that the woman that YAHudah (the man) married was a Canaanite (goi/gentile) women that was grafted into Yisrael through her marriage to YAHudah. Is it coincidental that YAHshua the Mashiach of YISRAEL is also the SAVIOR of the GOI/GENTILES?
Scripture declares that both JEWS and GENTILES are bonded togethter and grafted into YISRAEL, through YAHshua the Mashiach of Yisrael and Savior of the World......... HALLELUYAH........
Is it coincidental the YAHshua the Mashiach is connected with this Tribe called: YAHudah?........ I don't think so!.........
• YAHudah is also involved with Tamar and has twin sons with her named Perez and Zerach.
• The tribe of YAHudah inhabited YAHrusalem during the reign of its kings David and Solomon
• The land of YAHudah later became the kingdom of all of the southern tribes of Yisrael.
Tribe of Zebulun totatling: 57,400
Who was Zebulun: Tenth son of Jacob and sixth of Leah and father of the tribe of Zebulun, one of the twelve tribes of Yisrael. When he was born Leah said "YAHWEH has provided me with a good dowry" (Hebrew: zvad).
• He was part of the plot to sell Joseph into slavery,
• Zebulun later became one of the group that was sent to Egypt to buy corn.
• Zebulun later lived in Egypt with his three sons Sered, Elon and Jahleel.
• Zebulun received the blessing from Jacob of: "Zebulun shall settle the seashores; he will be a harbour for ships; his border shall reach Sidon" (Genesis 49:13).
• The tribe of Zebulun inhabited the northern land of Canaan.
• Both the tribes of Naphtali and Zebulun are mentioned as brave soldiers in the Song of Deborah during the battle against Sisera (Judges 5:18).
Note:They were overseen by Mosheh and Aaron of the Levites
On the SOUTH SIDE of the tabernacle were the tribes of:
Tribe of Gad totaling:45,650
Who was Gad: Gad was the seventh son of Jacob and father of the tribe of Gad, one of the twelve tribes of Yisrael. His mother was Zilpah, Jacob's concubine and Leah's slave. Gad's name comes from the Hebrew word "troop". Leah named him Gad, saying "A troop is coming."
• Gad was part of the plot to sell Joseph to Egypt
• Gad was later sent to Egypt to buy corn during the famine in Canaan.
• Gad later moved to Egypt and lived there with his seven sons.
• Jacob blessed Gad on his deathbed, saying: "Raiders will raid Gad, but he will raid at their heel" (Genesis 49:19)
Tribe of Reuben totaling:46,500
Who was Reuben: Firstborn son of Jacob and Leah and father of the tribe of Reuven, one of the twelve tribes of Yisrael. His name comes from the Hebrew meaning: “Look, a son.”
• He appears in the story of the mandrakes as the one giving them to his mother (Genesis 30:14).
• Reuven has relations with Jacob’s concubine Bilhah, angering Jacob and probably contributing to the curse of Reuven on Jacob’s deathbed (Genesis 49:4).
• He succeeded in convincing his brothers not to kill Joseph but to trap him inside of a pit instead, to which he intended to return and rescue Joseph (Genesis 37:22).
• Later, when the family journeys to Egypt during the famine, he attempts to persuade his father that he should take responsibility for Benjamin while in Egypt (Genesis 42:37).
• The tribe of Reuven settled west of the Jordan River and agreed to join the other tribes in the war against the Philistines.
Tribe of Simeon totaling:59,300
Who was Simeon: Simeon was the second son of Jacob and Leah and father of the tribe of Simeon, one of the twelve tribes of Yisrael. The Hebrew meaning of his name means "YAHWEH has heard that I was unloved" (Genesis 29:33).
• He and his brother Levi destroyed the entire village of Shechem in retribution for the rape of their sister Dinah (Genesis 34).
• Simeon was a part of the plot to sell his brother Joseph into slavery.
• After the family was invited to Egypt during the famine in Canaan, he was appointed as the individual to stay behind as collateral for Benjamin so that his brothers would return from Canaan.
• The tribe of Simeon lived in the southernmost part of the Land of Yisrael.
Note:They were overseen by the Kohathites of the Levites
On the WEST SIDE of the tabernacle were the tribes of:
Tribe of Benjamin totaling:35,400
Who was Benjamin: Benjamin was the son of Jacob and Rachel and father of the tribe of Benjamin, one of the twelve tribes of Yisrael. Originally named Ben-oni, or "son of my affliction" by his mother as she lay dying in labor, his name was later changed to Benjamin meaning: "son of my right hand" (Genesis 48:14).
• Next to Joseph, he was his favorite son.
• Benjamin the twelfth son of Jacob and born after Joseph was sold into slavery.
• After the family was invited to Egypt, Joseph sabatoged Benjamin's sack by putting a silver cup in it and accusing the brothers of stealing. Joseph thought Benjamin would remain in Egypt but YAHudah offered to take his place, saying that his father would be devastated if Benjamin did not return.
• Jacob later blesses Benjamin while on his deathbed, calling Benjamin "a vicious wolf, devouring the prey in the morning, and dividing the spoil at night" (Genesis 49:27).
Tribe of Ephraim totaling: 40,500
Tribe of Manasseh totaling: 32,200
Note: They were overseen by the Gershonites of the Levites
On the NORTH SIDE of the tabernacle were the tribes of:
Tribe of Asher totaling:41,500
Who was Asher: Asher was the eighth son of Jacob and the father of the tribe of Asher, one of the twelve tribes of Yisrael. His mother was Zilpah, Leah's maidservant. Leah named him Asher, saying "Happy am I" (Genesis 30:13).
• Asher played a role in the plot to sell his brother Joseph into slavery.
• Asher and his four sons and daughter later settled in Egypt.
• Jacob blessed Asher on his deathbed, saying: "From Asher will come the richest food; he will provide the king's delights" (Genesis 49:20)
Tribe of Dan totaling:62,700
Who was Dan: Son of Jacob and Bilhah (Rachel's maidservant) and father of the tribe of Dan and one of the twelve tribes of Yisrael.
• Dan was one of the brothers involved in the plot to sell his brother Joseph into slavery.
• Later, Dan's father Jacob sent him to Egypt to buy corn during the severe famine in Canaan.
• Dan receives a blessing from Jacob that "Dan shall judge his people" (Genesis 49:16).
• Similarly, one explanation of the name Dan is that when Rachel was convinced that she was unable to have children, she cried "God has judged me" (Genesis 30:5).
• The region of Dan in the Book of Judges is located in the far north of Canaan and referred to early in Genesis during Abraham's chasing of Chedorlaomer (Genesis 14:14).
• The tribe of Dan also settled in the southern part of the country and since the tribal territory covered both northern and southern parts of the country the expression "from Dan to Beer-sheba" indicates the entire span of the Yisraelite land.
Tribe of Naphtali totaling:53,500
Who was Naphtali:
• was the son of Jacob and Rachel's maidservant Bilhah and the father of the tribe of Naphtali, one of the twelve tribes of Yisrael.
• The tribe of Naphtali settled in northern Canaan and were described as brave soldiers in the Song of Deborah (Judges 5:18).
• Naphtali's blessing from his father called him "a running deer" (Genesis 49:21). Naphtali was given his name because Rachel said "With great wrestlings have I wrestled my sister" (Genesis 30:8).
Notes: The were overseen by the Merarites of the Levites